G01. Deep-water wave growth
The computation simulates the growth of waves in deep water
as a function of fetch.
Results are obtained with stationary computations
for two fetch ranges (short fetches in
G01a, long fetches in G01b).
The graph in file G01.ps Compares these computational results
with data from
Young and Verhagen (1996),
and Holthuijsen (1980).
Note: quantity TPS (smoothed peak period) is used as measure for peak period.
2 groups of 2 cases are considered:
- short fetch
- long fetch
- whitecapping by Alves and Banner, short fetch
- whitecapping by Alves and Banner, long fetch
- Bretschneider, C.L. (1973)
- Shore Protection Manual, CERC, US Army Corps of Engineers,
Techn. Rep. No. 4
- Holthuijsen, L.H. (1980),
- Methods of Wave Prediction, part I and II (Methoden voor
golfvoorspelling, deel I en II, in Dutch), Technical Advisory Commission against
Inundation (technische adviescommissie voor de waterkeringen), Den Haag, the
- Young, I.R. and L.A. Verhagen (1996),
- The growth of fetch-limited waves in water of fInite
depth, parts I, II and III; Coastal Engineering, 29, 47-121