L04. Flume measurements by Baldock (1998)
Baldock et al.(1998) carried out an experiment
in which they measured the fraction of breaking waves
in order to develop a surf breaking formulation.
Vink (2001) made a Swan simulation of this experiment which
was modified in this test bank.
This graph from Vink (2001) shows that Baldock's Qb performs better than
the one by Battjes and Janssen (1978)
The computations are compared with measurements in plot plfL04.
2 runs are made:
- default physics, coarse run
- default physics, nested run from 40 m
- BalDock breaking formulation
- as L04c, nested run from 40 m
- JONSWAP friction formulation
- as L04e, nested run from 40 m
- Baldock breaking formulation, triads on
- as L04g, nested run from 40 m
- Baldock, T.E., Holmes, P., Bunker and S., Weert, P. van, (1998),
- Cross-shore hydrodynamics within an unsaturated surf zone,
Coastal Engineering, 34, p.173-196.
- Smith, J. and Vincent, C.L., (1992),
- Shoaling and decay of two wave trains on a beach,
Journ. of Waterway, Port, Ocean and Coastal Eng., vol. 118, p. 517-533.
- Vincent, C.L., Smith, J. and Davis. J., (1994)
- Parameterization of wave breaking in models,
Waves - physical and numerical modelling, Proc of int. symp., p. 753-761.
- Vincent, C.L. and Smith, J., (2000)
- Spectral model for depth-limited wave breaking, personal copy.
- Vink, A.S. (2001)
- Transformation of wave spectra across the surf zone,
Delft University of Technology, MSc thesis